What exactly is an intranet? An intranet is a private network in a business that gives workers access to securely exchange company information and computer resources. An intranet is also used fir group collaboration and teleconferences.
Intranets are very useful in terms of internal communication within an organization. It gives employees easy and safe access to important information, links, application, and business databases. It also serves as a single point access to all internal and external resources. According to google, an intranet is established with the technologies for local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs).
An intranet has huge benefits such as:
- Increase in Employee Productivity: Intranets help users view information faster and use applications that are important to their roles. With a web browser interface, users can access data held in any database the organization wants to make available, subject to security provisions from anywhere in the company, which increases the worker’s ability to execute their roles easier and faster. It also improves the quality of services provided to the users.
- It aids in efficient communication: Intranets serves as a powerful tool for communication within an organization. These kinds of information that is being communicated are usually work related and are task related. By providing this information on the intranet, employees have the opportunity to keep up to date with the objectives of the organization. Examples of communication could be chat, emails, blogs, etc.
- It is cost-effective: Users can view information and data through the web browser rather than having physical documents in possession like manuals, internal phone list, and other documents. This can save cost of printing, photocopying and prevents environmental pollution.
An intranet improves the working environment. Just like every other software in the digital space, the intranet needs to be protected and secured. Here are some important steps to properly secure your intranet environment:
- Set strong passwords: A strong password is one of the best ways to protect data security. While companies set strong intranet passwords, the employee should use them responsibly. They should change the passwords every few months, for data security.
- Avoid Phishing scams: Phishing attacks are usually common, especially for employees who use their emails regularly. Hackers sometimes impersonate as CEOs and company leaders and then send employees messages containing malicious links. Employees should be taught how to identify these fake links and warning signs online.
- Secure your devices physically: While taking essential steps to protect the intranet security against virtual attacks, always consider your devices itself. Employees should never leave their work devices in unsecured locations unattended to. Hackers can steal these devices and install a malicious software without your knowledge. Hence, always carry your devices with you, or keep then secured in your workspaces.
While we enjoy a safe working virtual environment, it’s always important to pay attention to our security in general. Once we keep our intranet safe, we keep our data safe.
We are Platview Technologies. We are an innovative and agile cybersecurity company with the goal of safe-guarding businesses with our world-class, industry-leading services and technology solutions. We commit to understanding your business objectives and goals to align a tailored security services and strategy allowing your business to grow without added security risk.