Taking care of our devices should be a daily routine or priority. In our devices, apart from the dangers of information being leaked out on our cloud, our applications as well secure lots of information and data to be protected, hence the importance of application security.
According to vmware, Application security describes security measures at the application level that aim to prevent data or code within the app from being stolen or hijacked. It encompasses the security considerations that happen during application development and design, but it also involves systems and approaches to protect apps after they get deployed. It involves the security measures put in place to protect an application software.
Application security may include hardware, software, and procedures that identify or minimize the weakness of a security. For example, a router that prevents anyone from viewing a computer’s IP address from the Internet is a form of hardware application security. Some security can also be built in the form of software, like an application firewall that strictly defines what activities are allowed and rejected.
TYPES OF APPLICATION SECURITY
- Authentication: This is a process whereby software developers build procedures into an application to ensure that only permitted users gain access to it. Authentication procedures ensure that a user is validated by all means. This can be achieved by requesting the user to provide a username and password when logging in to an application, and also multi-factor authentication which requires more than one form of authentication. According to vmware, the factors might include something you know (a password), something you have (a mobile device), and something you are (a thumb print or facial recognition).
- Authorization: After a user has been authenticated, the user may be authorized to access and use the application. The system can confirm that a user has full access to the application by comparing the user’s identity with a list of authorized users. Authentication must happen before authorization so that the application can link only authorized user credentials to the authorized user list.
- Encryption: After a user has been authenticated and is using the application, a list of other security measures can protect sensitive data from being seen, leaked or used by a cybercriminal.
- Logging: If there is a security breach in an application, logging can identify and determine who got access to the data and how the person got access.
- Application security testing: This is a compulsory process to ensure that all of these security controls work properly and efficiently.
WHY IS APPLICATION SECURITY IS SO IMPORTANT?
Application security is very important because the world is digital, and 99% of humans are technology inclined, and have a basic app installed in their devices. Most of these applications are connected to a cloud, which increases the vulnerability of the security to threats and hacks.
It is no news that cyber criminals target apps more in these present times, hence the importance of application security. Application security testing can show weaknesses at the application level, helping to prevent and curb these attacks.
Applications are popular in these recent times, hence the need to acquire the right knowledge on how to protect our apps. With application security, we are building a high shield that prevents cyber criminals from gaining access into our apps.
We are Platview Technologies. We are an innovative and agile cybersecurity company with the goal of safe-guarding businesses with our world-class, industry-leading services and technology solutions. We commit to understanding your business objectives and goals to align a tailored security services and strategy allowing your business to grow without added security risk.